Driving on a highway in NYC, especially at night, it seems that when there is normal traffic, cars tend to group into "packs." I like to drive between the packs. It seems as if I am between packs of pilgrims because I am the only one staying in this place tonight - although in the registry for the past three nights there has only been a single pilgrim. I saw Filippo was here the night before and was glad that he made it as he had decided to do a difficult combination of two sections in one day to make it to Rome on time. Somehow I think I would rather have not been "between the packs" and had some company, but the opportunity for contemplation while walking alone is also of great benefit.
The only bad thing about this place was an incident that made me very angry. A group of young teenage boys were passing by the tower toward an area where construction (perhaps restoration work) was being done. After they had passed I went to check on my clothes drying on a "stendino" or a drying rack that I had placed on the other side of the dirt road so that it would be in the sun. When I checked, I notice that my shirt was missing. I looked around and saw the clothes pins on the ground and the shirt about 20 yards away in the dirt. I figured that the wind must have blown it off. I did a quick re-washing of the shirt in the outside sink where pilgrims could hand wash their clothes and hung it up again. As I did, I noticed that gum was smeared onto my towel. After tugging on my shirt, I realized that the wind would not have been strong enough to pull it off and that the shirt and the gum were both malicious actions. I showed the osptaliere the gum and he helped me get it off with some ice packs. I told him I didn't see the boys do it, but both of us guessed it was probably them.
I was angry. I had visions of confrontations with those boys telling them what an awful thing that was to do to someone who just carried only two sets of clothes and one tec towel. I was really angry. Why do people in this world choose to do evil? The shirt and the gum weren't even selfish actions, they were downright malicious - seeking only harm and destruction. Why would one of these boys have done this? To look macho in front of his peers? A total lack of empathy for others? Acting out some anger towards someone else or some other situation?
At that last question it hit me that my anger was probably not helping at all. After realizing this - and now that some time had passed after the incident - I realized that forgiving this boy was probably the best going to do.
Sometimes I am so grateful to God for the sacrament of Reconciliation. Forgiveness beaks the cycles of anger that allow for evil to perpetuate. But I also have to remember the words of the Lord's Prayer, "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." I will only receive forgiveness in the same measure as I forgive. God puts it in my hands. I know that I am a sinner, so it would be better for my lot to forgive.







No comments:
Post a Comment