Sunday, August 2, 2015

Around lake Bolsena 8/1 & 8/2

Less than a week to my arrival in Rome. I had been looking forward to this as an energizing moment, but it turned out to be one of the worst walks, if not the worst. Although it was only 17.7 km, the path followed the high crests around the lake offering beautiful vistas. At many points I grumbled to myself, "Yeah, yeah, beautiful. Now just get me to Rome, I don't need vistas." The ascents and descents were not as bad as other parts of the Via Francigena, but it was more difficult because I could not eat anything - it would just pass right through me if I did. The last half to Montefiascone had an uphill climb about half as much as Radicofani, but in my condition it seemed worse.
I arrived at the Monastero di San Pietro tired, hungry by choice, and confused as to which door to push when someone from inside tried to "ring me in." Only looking back does it seem a little funny.
The kind sisters (suori) lifted up my dragging soul with warm hospitality. 
I stayed for dinner - an extra €13 and worth it. I prayed Vespers with them and the priest who would preside at Mass the next day. One of the sisters saved some dinner for me because I could not stay for Sunday Mass at 8:00AM the next morning, and had to go to the Saturday evening Mass in the chapel at the cathedral, which was at the same time as dinner, 7:00PM.
I left early (my usual 5:45 to 6:00) hearing the sister singing Lauds, but did not join them as a had prayed that office already.
As I left, both my spirits and my stomach were both in much better condition than the day before.
The walk from Bolsena to Viterbo was just about the same distance as the day before, but downhill and then relatively level and mostly in the shade. Benissimo. Arriving around 11:00, I found a nice caffe with wifi as I had four hours until the Ospitale Torretta Pio VI opened up. The people at the caffe were kind enough to let me hang out for a while working on my blog and checking up on things at home on the Internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment