Friday, July 31, 2015

Acquapendente to Bolsena 7/31

 Lago di Bolsena is the big feature today. I thinks it's one of the largest volcanic crater lakes in Europe. It seems that many Italians go to Bolsena for the lakeside beach and many beachside restaurants. There were other European tourists there, too.
The walk was about 22 km and listed as "media" (medium difficulty). However, the beginning of some "digestive" problems gave me some concerns. As has been usual, I saw Filippo at a caffè at the midway point of San Lorenzo Nuovo. We sat for a while and he moved on, having arrived first and finished. I stayed a bit working on this blog as the religious houses in which we've been staying don't usually have wifi.
I had called ahead some days before to the Convent of Santa Maria del Giglio to secure a place to stay but when I arrived the Signora in charge said that I couldn't stay there because there was a woman giving a seminar for several people. She was very kind and offered to call around to make sure I had a place to stay as she brought out some bottled water and a glass. However, I was absolutely sure that upon calling, whoever I spoke to said that I could stay there. I always circle the place in my guidebook after I secure a place on a particular date. As it turned out, the woman giving the seminar came into the office and said, "Look how tired he is! Of course let him stay here. He won't disturb the seminar." She even invited me for lunch with the group. My stomach was iffy, but it was such a gracious offer that I couldn't refuse - and I was hungry. I spoke with a few of the people, from all over Europe: Ireland, Austria, Germany, Finland. English was the common language so it was rather restful on my brain and tongue not having to speak Italian. 
Not wanting to compare the Camino de Santiago to the Via Francigena too much, in this case I must as the similarities to Samos (a place on the Camino where the monastery has been hosting pilgrims for over a thousand years) and this convent in Bolsena gave me pause. Both are near the final stages of the pilgrimage, both very religious and contemplative places, both having a relatively short walk after. However, after Samos I traveled with a group of ten others who had collected together - and whom, one or another, I had traveled with at different times. This pilgrimage there seems to be a group breaking apart and my final stages will be solo.
After getting my laundry done, bringing it inside until the thunderstorm passed, and then hanging it up, I was just about to head into Bolsena to check it out, when I hear Filippo coming up the stairs. I asked if he were staying here too, but he said that he had been checking out all the pilgrim places to see where I was. He wanted to get together for dinner with the Scout group as this would be our last stop together.
I just had something light (melon) because of my questionable stomach, but it was nice getting together with fellow pilgrims at a pizzeria on the beach of Lago di Bolsena.


No comments:

Post a Comment