Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Pontremoli and good advice 7/14

The stay at the Ostello Via Francigena right before the Passo della Cisa proved to be pleasant. There were no other pilgrims (pellegrini) staying there, but there was one man who stayed overnight  because of some hiking along different trails from the Via Francigena. He lives in Lucca and gave me some advice on where to stay and who to call for places there. Also, along the way while passing through the small village of Casalina, I met another pilgrim, but walking in the opposite direction. It seems this young German man (maybe college age) did the Camino de Santiago from St. Jean Pied du Port to Santiago, went by plane from Santiago to Rome, and is now walking from Rome to his home in Germany. I gave him some information regarding the places to stay in Berceto and Fidenza and also some info about the route around the Passo della Cisa. He gave me some advice on places to stay in a couple of cities that he had passed through on his journey north. Pilgrims help each other. 
I thought that the way from the Passo della Cisa to Ponremoli would be a descent. However, it proved to be a serious of many ascents and descents. It was a bit more than I expected. With no place along the way to have a capuccino and something to eat, I made sure I had some breakfast before leaving. By the time I reached Arzengio, only a few km from my destination, I found a bar that served panini. For one panini, a capuccino, and an iced tea it cost me the same amount as my food shopping for two days worth of food at the supermarket in Pontrmoli. 
I learned a long time ago, on a hiking trip in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, that descents can be grueling. With my fraternity brothers, Jim Davis, Bobby Wen, and Thom O'Malley, I was ready for some hiking in the mountains. In shape (coaching wrestling at the time) I did a great job climbing up those trails. By the third day the descents  had killed my knees. I practically crawled down the last day. Now at twice the age of that young man that I was, I think that I'm much wiser about descents.
Sometimes I still think sadly about Thom  and his difficult descent after is bicycle accident and head injury. His battle with depression and his ultimate suicide must have been a painful descent. I often hope and pray that, now that his battle is over, he is in a better place in fullness of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment