Thursday, July 16, 2015

A gift of eggs 7/16

On the Via Francigena, the Camino de Santiago, and I would imagine on other pilgrimages too, one meets people along the way, perhaps staying in the same ostello (or albergue in Spain), and then sees them later in a few stages ahead. People pass each other and catch up again and it is always good to see familiar faces of other people sharing the pilgrimage. 
Last night in Villafranca there was only me in a place that had a few accommodations for pilgrims, but the night before (see the previous post on Crocodile Hunter), there was the young French couple and Marco, my fellow wearer of a wide brimmed hat. 
When we were trading places taking turns cooking dinner in the kitchen, I had recommended hard boiled eggs - they're easy to cook and you can carry them in your pack pack without the fear of raw eggs breaking. I remembered a group of Korean young men on the Camino doing that and thinking it was a good idea. I tried it myself. 
The other pilgrims, from two nights ago, also thought it to be a good idea and brought back eggs to hard boil. We all shared some - even along the way I had seen Marco stopped on the side of the road for lunch and with some of my bread and some of his salami, together with eggs, it made a great lunch in a roadside park.
Today I reached Aulla after a wonderfully pleasant early morning start and am staying at the Ostello di San Caprasio, where I ran unto Oliver and Flo again, the young French couple. As we scoped out the kitchen to see what the cooking facilities were like, there in the cabinet was a box of a half dozen eggs with our names on it. It seems Marco had stayed there the night before, having moved a stage ahead, and has left us a gift of eggs - along with his signature dinosaur drawing that he has left on paper a few other places along the route. Notice the pun.

No comments:

Post a Comment