Monday, July 6, 2015

A beautiful last day in Valle D'Aosta 7/3


As much as the previous day and was steep, exhausting, and somewhat scary, today was gentle, soothing, and uplifting. The Aosta valley became very thin, so the sun never beat down upon me as the always seemed to be in the mountains' shadow until very late morning. Even then passing through the beautiful mountainside towns of Hone, Bard, and Donnas was a gift.
Upon reaching Pont Saint Martin I found a place called Pizzeria New York. Since I had about an hour before my train to Garlasco I had to go in. I just ordered something cold to drink and started up a conversation with the owner. He and his mother were so kind when I told them that I was from New York and doing the Via Francigena. The mother showed me pictures on the wall of her trip to New York. As it turns out the owner knows a restaurant owner on 18th Ave in Brooklyn
The best part of the day came after the train ride and checking into the Ostello del Pellagrino in Garlasco. Francesco and Paola had offered to walk the next two days with me as fellow pilgrims. It was a real joy to see them after two years (and mostly social media communication).
[see "Italians cooking" on the notes to the  Camino de Santiago de Compostela below]


1 comment:

  1. Praying for you everyday. Love the pictures. Blessings, Carmen

    ReplyDelete