Today was my last chance to get in a good 15 mile walk with all my gear. I took the path parallel to the Belt Pkwy to Cropsey Ave and then took a walk along the boardwalk at Coney Island. When I reached the end of the boardwalk, it seemed better to remove my hiking boots and socks and walk along the beach at the edge of the water. The next time I place my feet into the Atlantic Ocean will be six weeks from now at Finisterre, Spain. I did find a couple a li'l scallop shells along Coney Island Beach - fitting shells to carry for the Camino as most pilgrims carry this symbol of Saint James the Apostle.
I don't know if I will walk the extra 90km to Finisterre or if I will end the pilgrimage at Santiago - there are too many variables to try to plan that far in advance. Santiago marks the end of all the pilgrimage routes, but many people continue to the place the Romans called "the end of the earth" (finis terra). It was thought to be the most western portion of continental Europe, although further south there's a bit of Portugal that is slightly more west. However, the cape of Finisterre jutting out into the Atlantic has the feeling of "this is the furthest you can go."
![]() |
| The Lower Bay of New York, an extension of the Atlantic Ocean as seen from the beach at Coney Island. |



No comments:
Post a Comment