Friday, June 26, 2015

A new ancient pilgrimage.

There were three major pilgrimages in the medieval world. First, the Camino de Santiago de Compostela in which pilgrims from all parts of Europe would travel great distances to the cathedral of Santiago, which held the relics of the Apostle St. James the Greater. The other ancient pilgrim destinations were Rome and Jerusalem. One of the more traveled routes to Rome was what is now known as the Via Francigena, beginning at Canterbury Cathedral and ending at the Papal Basilica of St. Peter in Rome.

During the summer of 2013, I had the privilege of walking the Camino de Santiago along the "French Way" or the Camino Frances. Walking along a pilgrims' route that millions have traversed was a wonderfully spiritual, physical and emotional experience. At times I had the honor of walking with many different people and at other times I had the opportunity to walk contemplatively alone. Some of the spiritual aspects of that journey I am still unpacking long after my backpack emptied out upon my return. Many of the people that I met on that route I would count as friends until I pass from this earth.

Today, again I have the privilege of participating in an ancient pilgrimage. This afternoon I fly out of New York and travel to the Swiss-Italian border to start walking along the Italian section of the Via Francigena. From the Saint Bernard Pass in the Alps to the city of Rome, I will once again walk, pray, contemplate, and meet other pilgrims. While similar to the Camino, the Via Francigena is not as well known nor as popular; perhaps this pilgrimage is more like the Camino was decades ago before it started to regain popularity. My backpack is just about ready to be assembled, my walking stick is packed in a shipping tube for the airplane ride, and my iPhone is loaded with maps and prayers. For six week I will be trekking from North to South, about fifteen miles a day.

Pray for me while I journey. I already have so many people from St. Mary Mother of Jesus parish praying for me. After asking who or what they wanted me to pray for, I have all of their prayer requests on index cards that I will be flipping through during the journey. I will also offer prayers for all of my Xaverian colleagues, my friends, my family, and especially my wife, Lisa, whose love and support (in all aspects of my life) is the greatest gift from God that I am thankful for.
St. Rocco, patron saint of the Via Francigena

No comments:

Post a Comment