Monday, June 29, 2015

The Alps 6/28

Walking out the Hospice I really did not have a clue what the signs looked like. Knowing that there were other pilgrims leaving that morning, I waited around the statue of San Bernard for a bit until an Italian couple (who the next day I found out are brother and sister) said to follow the signs for 103. I walked ahead of them a bit as they were preparing their backpacks - my first mistake. As I took one slightly wrong turn - and there no such thing as "slightly" wrong - they called me over to the right path. After that I graciously let them lead the way by many paces. I did get used to the signage and it became much easier after that.
The Alps are incredible. A picture on an iPhone cannot at all capture the magnificence of these mountains and valleys. I took one photo of this scary one foot wide mountain path - with a scary drop off to one side. I am not normally afraid of heights, but this little Alpine trail gave me much pause. There were a few times that I had to say to myself, "Don't look down. Don't look down. Keep looking at the path. Don't look down." Looking at the picture it didn't look half as bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment