Monday, June 29, 2015

Holland and Finland 6/30


At the end of the previous day we had to walk an extra 2 km to get to one of the local parishes who had a place for three pilgrims. Maritta, from Finland, Carolus, from Holland, and myself found it closed when we arrived, but the parish secretary said that the woman in charge would be back in an hour. When thing like this happen it' time to find a place for a cappuccino.

The day's traveling was awful. Walking in roads with no shoulder and being fearful of Italian drivers in winding roads made it difficult. That and the extra two km walk to get to the hostel was somehow made better by a nice pasta and green salad dinner that I volunteered to make for everyone. A good meal at the end of a bad day works wonders.

The next day was much better. However, I could not make it to the destination that I had originally planned, Chatillon, and made it as far as Nus. The walking was once again pleasant, but steep sometimes, in the Val D'Aosta. The next night, after traveling from Nus to Chatillon, I stayed at a local church and friary run by the Franciscan Capuccin Friars. Very simple, but appreciated accommodations, where later two young American girls also stayed. They had been walking from the cathedral of Canturbury England, the traditional starting point of the Via Francigena.

No comments:

Post a Comment