Friday, July 12, 2013

Concerning Rocks

Paved roads are not the norm on the Camino. Dirt pressed with rocks is the usual earth under foot.
Early in the morning at fresh start I don't feel a single one underfoot. By the end of the day, tied and worn I can feel each one through the soles of my hiking shoes. Not all the pathways are like this, but when I reach one a spectator might witness my eyes rolling like a teenager's under an early curfew. Rock? Again?
Once in a while there is a rock walked over that messes up the rest if the walk - sharp, shooting pain because of a wrong step. Stepping on that rock any other way would have been painless, but because of the way I interacted with that static object I am now in pain. As a result I pay less attention to the sky, the landscape, the people. I become blind to everything but the rocks and my feet.
How close to life. How many situations in life we encounter where the means of our interaction with the situation - not the objective situation itself - causes us pain. The situation then absorbs all attention and we can become blind to all else. 
I have no solutions; I'm still dealing with the rocks now. However...
May all your roads be rockless.


No comments:

Post a Comment