Thursday, July 4, 2013

John 12: 3 - 8

At the beginning of the walk from Atapuerca to Burgos yesterday, July 3, there was a small box of a church. There was no denying the prayerful atmosphere  within this simple structure. I went in to say Lauds and offer prayers for all the people who had asked me to pray for them and their loved ones. I sat and prayed and was nearly in tears by the brokenness of the world. With just this little bit of prayer for those in need, I was overwhelmed by how Christ could have taken the brokenness of all humanity upon his shoulders by carrying and mounting the cross.
I walked most of the day with another American, a young man of Cuban descent from Miami. His fluency in Spanish proved to be very helpful in finding a shadier route into the city of Burgos. This young man is one of few pilgrims doing the Camino for overtly Catholic, religious reasons. I got the impression that he was glad to meet a deacon along the way to share some thoughts about the Camino from that perspective. I was certainly glad to have shared to road with him, too.
As we walked through Burgos along walkway parallel to the Rio Arlazon, we both were anticipating the landmark of the spires of the Catedral de Santa Maria to make sure that we weren't lost. Crossing the bridge after seeing the cathedral spires I wasn't prepared for the beauty.
Overwhelming. I reminded my walking companion to remember that small rural church we had passed. The Eucharist celebrated in each of these churches makes the Church what it is. That being said, the grandeur and magnificence of the Cathedral left us both speechless upon first sight. Immediately a woman, a resident of Burgos, greeted us as pilgrims welcoming us into the city. She spoke of her own pilgrimage and finally wished us a "Buen Camino" all within the sight of this grand cathedral.
Sadly there are some who would criticize the Catholic Church for unnecessary extravagance. I can only wonder how such critics can deny the craftsmanship and skill done by the people working on this who were giving glory to God. Even if some of the patrons and artisans had ulterior motives, I wonder how many of us can say that we have entirely pure motives. Seeing their work reduced to mere material value is sad, to say the least. Saying that all the work and effort creating beauty in honor of God could have been efficiently spent otherwise resonates with the voice of Judas.


No comments:

Post a Comment