Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Villafranca to Atapuerca

A misty fog covered the hills nearing the town of San Juan de Ortega. After wheat fields and vineyards in patchwork, finding pine woods following a somewhat steep incline was a welcomed change.
As I began today's walk I was thinking how the only wildlife I have seen had been the large black slugs of the Pyrenees (and seen today in the height before San Juan). I've heard frogs in the morning and birds throughout the day - even a cookoo in the woods to my left - but animal life has been mostly domestic or the "evidence" of domestic animals that I sidestepped along the road.
While walking on the path through mixed pine and deciduous woods, I heard a rustling sound to the left of the trail as I walked west still early in the morning, sun at my back. With little warning a young doe darted out from the rustled undergrowth and ran across the road about ten yards in front of me. She was much to quick for me to get a photo. I'll have to keep it in my Camino memory.

Tonight at the albergue in Atapuerca, I have offered to cook dinner for some of the other Americans on Camino. We occasionally travel together, but often see each other at the same albergue at the end of the day. This happens quite frequently when groups get together, disperse, and gather together with some or others met along the way. This happens unplanned, but not accidental as most pilgrims who have started at St Jean on the same day are usually traveling on the same schedule.
So tonight it was pasta and sauce!


No comments:

Post a Comment